गीत नही गाता हुँ |
बेनकाब चेहरे हैं, दाग बड़े गहरे हैं\ टूटता तिलिस्म,
आज सच से भय ख़ाता हूँ | गीत नही गाता हुँ |
लगी कुछ ऐसी नज़र, बिखरा शीशे सा शहर,
अपनो के मेले में मिट नही पता हूँ, गीत नही गाता हुँ |
पीठ में छुरी सा चाँद, राहु गया रेखा फाँद,
मुक्ता के क्षण में , बार बार बाँध जाता हूँ, गीत नही गाता हुँ |
गीत नया गाता हूँ |
टूटे हुए तारों से , फूटे बसंती स्वर.
पत्थर की छाती में उग आया ना अंकुर,
झड़े सब पीले पात, कोयल की कुक रात,
प्राची में अरुणिमा की रेत देख पता हूँ, गीत नया गाता हूँ |
टूटे हुए सपने की सुने कौन सिसकी,
अंतः की चिर व्यथा, पलाको पर ठिठकी,
हार नही मानूगा, रार नही ठानुगा,
कल के कपाल पर लिखता, मिटाता हूँ |
गीत नया गाता हूँ |
– श्री अटल बिहारी वाजपेयी
Yakshagana is a rare and unique traditional theatre of Karnataka state in India and has a recorded history of more than five centuries. It is a rich artistic blend of racy music, forceful dance, extempore speech and gorgeous costumes, this art combines the features of opera as well as drama, the characteristics of moral education and mass entertainment. Propagation and preservation of traditional arts is one of the challenges of modern world that is fast changing, making everything transient in the worldly sense. Art cannot survive without generous patronage and art cannot grow without sense for good taste. Both these require unified efforts of all art lovers. We should try to make Yakshagana a world heritage. Society has responsibility towards art and artists.
Yakshagana.com was launched on the World Wide Web on 11th March 2000. A pioneer effort to create a Cultural Portal of Coastal Karnataka was conceived & produced by Vasudeva Aithala. Dr. M.Prabhakara Joshy a scholar, teacher, critic, author and performer is the Co-Founder, Director and Chief Editor of the this portal.
Objectives of Yakshagana.com:
The main objectives and ambitions of Yakshagana.com are:
1. Propagation and preservation of traditional Yakshagana.
2. Effort to build new audiences for Yakshagana both at home and abroad.
3. The most powerful forum to network the “Yakshagana Abhimanigalu” from all corners of the world.
3. Support Yakshagana artists mainly in India, by supporting Yakshagana Artiste welfare programs which includes but not limited to medical Insurance, Life insurance, Achievement awards in cash, Hardship assistance, scholarships to artists kin etc.
4. Encourage people working in Yakshagana field like: Felicitation to artistes, Financial aid to writers, program organizers and Yakshagana trainers.
5. Enable networking, discussion to get Yakshagana regularly to foreign countries.
6. Growing online repository on Yakshagana subject, profiles, events, statistics, network.
7. Prepare ground work for “World Yakshagana Academy” with local chapters for the academy mushrooming in all corners of the world.
8. Selling Yakshagana video/audio and any other media publications through this site.
Proposed Programs, sponsored by Yakshagana.com on the World Wide Web.
1. Regular contests for writing articles on Yakshagana & Yakshagana related subjects. Cash prize for the winners. Publish winning articles on the web site.
2. Co-sponsor Yakshagana related workshops, seminars and conferences both in India & abroad.
3. Scholarships to school students for their achievements in Yakshagana.
4. Encourage Innovations and improvements in Yakshagana by providing unbiased discussion forum for critics.
Free Services provided by Yakshagana.com on the World Wide Web.
1. Profile Yakshagana troupes, prasangas, and artists, provide free publicity on the web.
2. Provide all possible logistic support and thereby encourage groups & organizations both in India & abroad to conduct Yakshagana.
3. Maintain an up-to-date database of Troupes, Prasangas, Artists both amateur and professional which will enable organizations to choose, correspond and arrange a Yakshagana performance even abroad.
Paid Services provided by Yakshagana.com on the World Wide Web.
1. Banner advertisements for Business & Establishments.
2. Affiliate with E-Commerce Company’s. (Provide URL links)
3. Yakshagana online store :- Sell Yakshagana Audio cassettes, CD’s, Video cassettes, Books and souvenirs.
4. Sell exclusive items of cultural value from Mangalore and neighboring Karavali region.
5. Arrange to deliver Gifts, Flowers and Sweets in DK area to family members of Non resident Indians.
Harady Rama Birth Centenary Volume
Published by Ee Maasa Nataka, Bangalore – 560078
Editor: H Sridara Hande, K Mohan; pp 121 + 10. Rs.80/-
This volume brought out by Ee Maasa Nataka and Yakshadegula Bangalore, is fitting tribute to the great artist Harady Rama, on the occasion of his birth centenary. It contains 39 articles, 38 on Harady Rama’s life and achievements, memoirs etc and one of Yakshagana abhinaya principles.
The authors include artists, friends, connoisseurs, experts, organisers and relatives. All have paid glowing tributes to the great artist and a gentleman of great human qualities.Rama was the embodiment of the prestine beauty, poise and dignity of the northern (Badagu) style of Yakshagana. His wwas a classical approach coupled with dedication and clear cut art policy and art morality.
Not many artists have enjoyed the esteem and popularity that he did. He was a legendary figure during his life time, yet huble and dignified gentleman.
His roles like Hiranyakashipu, Arjuna, Jambava, Uttarakumara, Bhishma, Bhima, Balarama, Chitrasena were some of his famous roles. Karna was the role which immortalized him.Harady Rama was a star and an actor, a celebrity and an exponent, an embodiment
of values – all rolled into one, an example for generations of article to come.The editors and publishers have done a commemorable job by bringing out this valuable volume.
– Dr. M. Prabhakara Joshi
Three new Websites on Yakshagana have come to the sky, Yaksharanga, Yakshaloka and Bayalata. We are very happy to Welcome them and congratulate the three teams who are working on them. We hope these sites will have a long, meaningful, active and creative life ahead. We also hope to get occasions to work together with them for common aims and ideals.
Some important personalities in Yakshagana have passed away recently. Senior female role actor Sri Kota Vaikunta died at his home in Guddatu of Kundapur taluk. He was a good artist of his type and has made important contribution to Yakshagana stage in both the styles Badagu and Thenku.
Cultural organizer, art lover Sri Umesh Nanthur died in Mangalore recently, on his visit home from UAE where he was working.Sri Umesh was keen Yakshagana supporter, an artist and art supporter. He had organized Yakshagana programs in the UAE. He was also active in the Tulu koota activities there being one of the founders.
We mourn the death of these art personalities and pay our homage hoping that their work will inspire youngsters .
A three day Yakshagana conference is now going on at Sri Ramachandrapura matha Hosanagar of Shimoga district, under the leadership of Sri Sri Raghaveshwara Bharathi Swamiji. We appreciate Sri Swamijis interest and initiative.
The Yakshagana saptahas at Sri Kateel, Kinnigoli and at Mangalore (by Sri Krishna Yakshasabha) went on successfully . We congratulate the organizers
Yours sincerely ,
Write to us
Various scholars who have contributed their valuable articles | Dr.Padmanabha Kekunnaya for “Tulu Language & Tulu script” | Dr K Chinnappa Gowda for Information on “Bhutaradhane”. | Dr V Raghavan for the article “Yakshagana”, Dr M.Prabhakara Joshy for the article “Introduction to Yakshagana (Karavali Yakshagana)” and “Talamaddale”. | Artistes Sri K Laxminaraya, Mangalore and Sri Ashok Lamani, Mangalore who designed the logos used in this webpage. | Well known photographers Sri Yajna Mangalore and Sri Keerthi Mangalore who contributed beautiful photographs. | Talented young amateur Yakshagana artist Sri. P.V.Paramesh for logistic support. | Smt. Nagalaxmi & Sri Shikaripura Harihareswara for all their encouragement and guidelines. | Sri. Sheshadrivasu for Baraha courtesy. | Magnum Intergrafiks Pvt. Ltd. Mangalore for the ISP and organisational support extended in successfully launching the web site. | Master Sanjay who helped in typing the scripts both in Kannada and English. | Well-wishers who have encouraged us through their compliments and suggestions through the guest book | To all the present and future viewers who are the integral part of the website.
The information in ‘yakshagana.com’ is provided as a general service to the worldwide Internet community. Although every effort has been made to provide accurate and timely information on these pages, neither this site nor any of its authors make any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. This site cannot be held responsible for the content, accuracy, completeness, timeliness or quality of any pages referenced by an external link. The information stored on this computer system has been collected from a variety of sources and are subject to deletion, addition or change without any notice from this site. Reference herein to any books, authors or artists does not necessarily constitute or imply their endorsement, recommendation or favoring by this site or any of its authors. All copyrights are to the respective authors. Copying or reproducing any material or images in any form is violation of copyright law. By accessing the information on this site, you agree that this site will not be responsible to you for direct, indirect, consequential, special or other damages that you may incur through the use of information found on this site or any information accessed through this site.